Ahmad was the new recruiting supervisor for XPC International Manufacturing Sdn. Bhd. in Shah Alam, Selangor. One
of Ahmad's first assignments was to recruit two (2) software design engineers for XPC International. Software design engineers are hard to recruit because of the difficulty of their training and the high demand for them. After considering various recruitment alternatives, Ahmad placed the following ad in a local newspaper with a circulation in excess of 1 million:
Employment Opportunity for Software Design Engineers
2 positions available for engineers desiring career in growth industry. Prefer recent college graduates with good appearance.
5 Good credit rating.
Send your resume in confidence, to:
XPC International Manufacturing Company Sdn. Bhd. P.O Box 2020, Pejabat Pos Besar Shah Alam, 40000 Shah Alam, Selangor.
More than 300 applications arrived in the first week, and Ahmad was elated. When he reviewed the applications, however, it is appeared that few people possessed the desired qualifications for the job.
1. Ahmad overlooked some of the proper recruiting practices, which resulted in an excessive number of unqualified people applying. What are they?
2. Are there any hiring standards that should be avoided? Identify them and explain why they should be avoided.
3. What recruitment sources and methods might have been used to have generated a better applicant pool for the 2 software design engineer positions for XPC International Manufacturing? Defend your recommendations.
4. If you were Ahmad, how would you construct the Recruiting Yield Pyramid for the advertised positions?
5. If you were Ahmad, how would you construct your Ad? Compare and contrast with Ahmad's Ad.
6. Discuss why effective recruiting is important.
Recently Asked Questions
- Think about an organization you are or would like to be a part of. And think about and share some of the competencies that the organization will need from its
- Chapter Case Who Goes, Who Stays? The consulting firm you have worked for over the last year is having some financial troubles. The large contracts it once had
- How should Growing Minds select the best candidates? What type of characteristics and measures should be used? Why?