1. Discuss the key elements of the resource-based view of strategic human resource
management . Explain how the application of this approach can contribute to sustainable competitive advantage of an organisation?
2. Your organisation has decided that downsizing of staff is necessary in a particular department in order to respond to a decline in demand for one of its main products as a result of technological changes. Discuss the steps it should take when planning for and implementing a downsizing programme.
3. Discuss the main reasons for conducting annual performance appraisals. Explain the reasons why some organisations are moving away from such an annual exercise.
4. Explain the benefits of evaluating human resource training and development programmes and activities. Discuss the ways in which training evaluation can be carried out in order to gain maximum benefit for both organisations and employees.
5. Critically evaluate the recruitment and selection techniques you would recommend to hire both (a) a secretary and (b) a HR director in a global organization. In both cases, you should provide justification for your recommendation.
6. Discuss the kinds of workplace features that can positively build high levels of employee engagement. Evaluate how an organization can nurture these features in order to create a highly engaged workforce.