1. Discuss the key elements of the resource-based view of strategic human resource
management (50%). Explain how the application of this approach can contribute to sustainable competitive advantage of an organisation? (50%)
2. Your organisation has decided that downsizing of staff is necessary in a particular department in order to respond to a decline in demand for one of its main products as a result of technological changes. Discuss the steps it should take when planning for and implementing a downsizing programme. (100%)
3. Discuss the main reasons for conducting annual performance appraisals. (50%) Explain the reasons why some organisations are moving away from such an annual exercise. (50%)
4. Explain the benefits of evaluating human resource training and development programmes and activities. (50%) Discuss the ways in which training evaluation can be carried out in order to gain maximum benefit for both organisations and employees. (50%)
5. Critically evaluate the recruitment and selection techniques you would recommend to hire both (a) a secretary (50 %) and (b) a HR director (50%) in a global organization. In both cases, you should provide justification for your recommendation.
6. Discuss the kinds of workplace features that can positively build high levels of employee engagement. (50%) Evaluate how an organization can nurture these features in order to create a highly engaged workforce. (50%)