Acme Telecom is involved in mobile wireless services across the United States and has
employees worldwide. This company is Chicago based and has 7 regional offices across the country.
Although Acme is doing well financially, they continue to feel competitive pressure. As a result, the
company needs to ensure that the IT infrastructure takes advantage of fault tolerant features.
• The company uses a number of different applications for communication, accounting, and
management. All the applications were hosted on individual servers with disks configured as RAID 0.
• The company changed the RAID level of their accounting application based on your
recommendations 6 months ago.
• It is now the beginning of a new financial year and the IT department has an increased budget. You
are called in to recommend changes to their database environment.
• You investigate their database environment closely, and observe that the data is stored on a 6-disk
RAID 0 set. Each disk has an advertised formatted capacity of 200 GB and the total size of their files
is 900 GB. The amount of data is likely to change by 30 % over the next 6 months and your solution
must accommodate this growth.
• The application performs around 40% write operations, and the remaining 60 % are reads. The
average size of a read or write is small, at around 2 KB.
How would you suggest that they restructure their environment?
A new 200 GB disk drive costs $1000. The controller can handle all commonly used RAID levels, so will
not need to be replaced.
What is the cost of the new solution?
Justify your choice based on cost, performance, and data availability of the new solution.
RAID level to use: