View the step-by-step solution to:

Question

Business Profile:

Acme Telecom is involved in mobile wireless services across the United States and has

about 5000

employees worldwide. This company is Chicago based and has 7 regional offices across the country.

Although Acme is doing well financially, they continue to feel competitive pressure. As a result, the

company needs to ensure that the IT infrastructure takes advantage of fault tolerant features.


Current Situation/Issues:

• The company uses a number of different applications for communication, accounting, and

management. All the applications were hosted on individual servers with disks configured as RAID 0.

• The company changed the RAID level of their accounting application based on your

recommendations 6 months ago.

• It is now the beginning of a new financial year and the IT department has an increased budget. You

are called in to recommend changes to their database environment.

• You investigate their database environment closely, and observe that the data is stored on a 6-disk

RAID 0 set. Each disk has an advertised formatted capacity of 200 GB and the total size of their files

is 900 GB. The amount of data is likely to change by 30 % over the next 6 months and your solution

must accommodate this growth.

• The application performs around 40% write operations, and the remaining 60 % are reads. The

average size of a read or write is small, at around 2 KB.


How would you suggest that they restructure their environment?

A new 200 GB disk drive costs $1000. The controller can handle all commonly used RAID levels, so will

not need to be replaced.

What is the cost of the new solution?


Justify your choice based on cost, performance, and data availability of the new solution.

RAID level to use:

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

Top Answer

Sign up to view the full answer

Why Join Course Hero?

Course Hero has all the homework and study help you need to succeed! We’ve got course-specific notes, study guides, and practice tests along with expert tutors.

-

Educational Resources
  • -

    Study Documents

    Find the best study resources around, tagged to your specific courses. Share your own to gain free Course Hero access.

    Browse Documents
  • -

    Question & Answers

    Get one-on-one homework help from our expert tutors—available online 24/7. Ask your own questions or browse existing Q&A threads. Satisfaction guaranteed!

    Ask a Question
Ask a homework question - tutors are online