Bill Colby has just been transferred to the 250-room Driftwood Inn as front office manager. The Driftwood Inn is a mid-price hotel operated by HMA Lodging Management for a local investor. The inn was opened just over a year ago in a good market and its financial performance to date has been below expectations.
In addition, there have been many guest complaints. Bill has been transferred to the Inn because he is the best front office manager in the HMA company.
Bill arrived at the Inn to find a front office with no direction. Employees were not well trained and turnover was high. Only one employee knew how to use the computer system completely. Employees did not know what was expected of them. The reservations clerk complained of getting conflicting instructions from the sales manager and the front desk manager. The previous front desk manager did not venture to the desk very often, preferring to remain in his office and produce reports for the general manager on why revenues were not meeting expectations.
When Bill visited the human resources office, he asked to see the front office mission statement, organisation chart, and job descriptions. He was told none were available. Bill read through many guest comment cards . Poor employee attitudes seemed to be a major problem, as did a lack of organization.
Finally, Bill met with various division heads, including housekeeping manager, hotel account manager and the food and beverage manager said he made test calls to the reservation department and they never recommended his restaurant.
With all this in mind, Bill has decided to "start from scratch" in order to meet the Inn's objectives of happy guests and employees, while producing an appropriate profit for the owners. He must develop a mission statement for the department. He must also develop an organization chart and job descriptions. You have been asked to help Bill with these tasks.
- Develop a mission statement for the front office. Keep in mind that this is a mid-price, medium-sized hotel.
- Determine three strategies that fit into the mission statement of the department pertaining to employee friendliness, speed of check-in, and product information about the inn.
- Develop two tactics for each strategy above.
Case Number: 3322CB
Recently Asked Questions
- a) Solve for the concentration of the gasoline in Michael Lake before the spill. b) Find the concentration in the lake immediately after the spill. Express
- Near the end of 2017, the management of Dimsdale Sports Co., a merchandising company, prepared the following estimated balance sheet for December 31, 2017.
- The following are body mass index (BMI) scores measured in 12 patients who are free of diabetes and participating in a study of risk factors for obesity. Body