You work in a large office with 150 workers on your floor. There are two large printer / copier machines located at each end of the floor in separate rooms. Currently no security is required to use these machines with workers able to copy and print both work and private documents. The printer / copier rooms store paper and cartridges which are ordered by reception when required. Used cartridges and unwanted copies or jammed paper are disposed of in the general waste bin
The first workers commence work at 7:00am whilst the late shift finishes at 7:00pm Monday to Friday. Only workers with an appropriate security pass (approximately 40 employees) are allowed access to the building out of hours and at weekends.
There are two breakout areas on the floor with a sink, constant boiling and chilled water, a fridge and tables and chairs for approximately 25 people in each area. There is a single large rubbish bin for all waste which is emptied each night.
The building's heating and cooling is controlled centrally and runs 24 hours per day maintaining a constant working temperature.
1. In your words describe all of the environmental impact issues of this office (or your workplace) environment? Be sure you include the details of any hazards caused by the current situation.
2. How would you lessen the environmental impact of this office (or your workplace)? Be sure you cover energy, utilities, paper, garbage and any other issues you feel are relevant.
3. Prepare a survey with at least 10 questions relating to the environmental impact of this business that you could use to gather more information about workers habits in the building. Include one question about arrival time and whether the employee ever uses the building at weekends. The table below contains the following responses to two of the questions on your worker questionnaire What recommendations could you make about the heating, cooling and lighting of the building based on this information?
From the results of other questions, you asked workers you can see that they appreciate and use the boiling water and chilled water machine despite the fact that it runs 24 hours per days for 365 days per year.
4. Suggest other more energy efficient ways in which boiling and chilled water could be provided? You will need to do some research on the actual cost of boiling water units and alternatives. Include this information in your answer.
You have been concerned for some time about paper wastage, especially copy paper.
5. Suggest at least THREE (3) ways in which paper consumption could be reduced.
Suggest TWO (2) ways you could measure if there was any reduction in paper use?
PART 2 Access information and data to investigate resource usage
1. What environmentally friendly practices can you use at work
2. What do you understand by the term "food miles"?
3. What can you do to minimise the food miles in your current:
· Food purchasing
· Clothing purchasing
4. Suggest at least TWO (2) reasons why public transport (trains, trams and buses) are more environmentally friendly than motor vehicles?
5. Access information and data and make suggestions to improve current purchasing and practices, relevant to these usages.
PART 3 Prepare a report to management that sets out a sustainable improvement initiative. (1000-1500 words)
The initiative is a 'tactical plan' to implement a sustainability measure and will include how success of the measure will be implemented and evaluated.
The report must include-
a) Name and detail the regulation/s complied with, and examples of current procedures to ensure compliance.
b) Examples of data collected that indicates a need to improve business activity.
c) A forecast or predictive data that indicates when the improvements will deliver a return on investment.
d) Clearly define at least three steps needed for implementation.
e) Who has been consulted
f) Who needs to be consulted Support available to staff during implementation.
g) In conclusion include two suggestions about organisational resilience to future environmental and sustainability challenges.
h) Ensure your report by includes how participants will be rewarded and the flow on effect of improvements to the organisation.
Recently Asked Questions
- Hi would I use a Chi- square of independence for this set of data or a goodness-of-fit test? thank you
- 1. What WHS duty holders exist in your present or previous workplace?
- The personal computer created a huge amount of value for users . The companies that profited most from the personal computer were : [ See p.245 ]