Becton Labs, Inc., produces various chemical compounds for industrial use. One compound, called Fludex, is
prepared using an elaborate distilling process. The company has developed standard costs for one unit of Fludex, as follows:
or HoursStandard Price
or RateStandard CostDirect materials2.10ounces$24.00per ounce$50.40Direct labor0.40hours$14.00per hour 5.60Variable manufacturing overhead0.40hours$2.50per hour 1.00Total standard cost per unit $57.00
During November, the following activity was recorded related to the production of Fludex:
- Materials purchased, 11,500 ounces at a cost of $259,325.
- There was no beginning inventory of materials; however, at the end of the month, 2,700 ounces of material remained in ending inventory.
- The company employs 23 lab technicians to work on the production of Fludex. During November, they each worked an average of 100 hours at an average pay rate of $11.00 per hour.
- Variable manufacturing overhead is assigned to Fludex on the basis of direct labor-hours. Variable manufacturing overhead costs during November totaled $2,300.
- During November, the company produced 4,100 units of Fludex.
1. For direct materials:
a. Compute the price and quantity variances.
b. The materials were purchased from a new supplier who is anxious to enter into a long-term purchase contract. Would you recommend that the company sign the contract?
2. For direct labor:
a. Compute the rate and efficiency variances.
b. In the past, the 23 technicians employed in the production of Fludex consisted of 4 senior technicians and 19 assistants. During November, the company experimented with fewer senior technicians and more assistants in order to reduce labor costs. Would you recommend that the new labor mix be continued?
3. Compute the variable overhead rate and efficiency variances.