Process costing serves two related purposes. First, it measures the cost
of goods manufactured on both a total and per-unit basis. This information is used in valuing inventories and in recording the cost of goods sold. But process costing also provides management with information about the per-unit cost of performing each step in the production process. This information is useful in evaluating the efficiency of production departments and often draws attention to potential cost savings.
Milton Manufacturing uses a process costing system. Products are processed successively by Department × and Department Y and are then transferred to the finished goods warehouse. Shown below is cost information for Department Y during the month of May:
The assignment for this unit will consist of two parts, in a word document , addressing the following questions.
1. Briefly explain the operation of process costing, including the way the unit costs of finished goods are determined.
2. Discuss how managers will use the information obtained from process costing.
Recently Asked Questions
- Chloe's Cafe bakes croissants that it sells to local restaurants and grocery stores. The average costs to bake the croissants are $0.55 for 3,600 and $0.50 for
- The Meyers CPA firm has the following overhead budget for the year: Overhead Indirect materials $340,000 Indirect labor $1,660,000 DepreciationBuilding
- Whitley Construction Company is in the home remodeling business. Whitley has three teams of highly skilled employees, each of whom has multiple skills