View the step-by-step solution to:

The expected value concept is important and used in Decision Analysis.

The expected value concept is important and used in Decision Analysis.  Decision Analysis can help make decisions based on the probability of different sates of nature from occurring, with different events from each decision being assigned a monetary value.  The analysis computes the expected value of each decision, and identifies the decision having the largest expected value (which you would typically choose).  
The simple example described herein is adapted from Pascal's Wager, named after Blaise Pascal (1632 - 1662), a brilliant French mathematician Let's assume the following two states of nature: that either God exists, or He doesn't.  There are no other states possible.  Then, let's say there is only a 10% probability that God exists, and a 90% probability that God does not exist (i.e., there is no God).  Notice that the probabilities must sum to 100%.  
Next, you have a decision with two options: either to accept Christ or reject Christ.  If you accept that Christ and God exist, the result is that you go to heaven, which we will assign a monetary value of $100.  If you accept Christ and there is no God, you will have lived a good, clean life with no afterlife, which we assign an assumed monetary value of $10.  If you reject Christ and God exists, you will spend eternity in hell, which is just as bad as heaven is good, so we assign a monetary value of -$100.  If you reject Christ and there is no God, then you have lived a normal life with no afterlife, which we assign a monetary value of $5.   You can see we have made the brash assumption that, on the average, a "good, clean" Christian life would be expected to be void of drunkenness, smoking, drugs, fornication, and other behaviors admonished in the Bible, so would have a slightly higher monetary value than a life that includes these activities.
Finally, we compute the expected values.  If you accept Christ, you have a 10% probability of earning $100 if God exists, and a 90% probability of earning $10 if there is no God, which gives an expected value of:
(0.10)($100) + (0.90)($10) = $19.00
The table illustrating this analysis is provided here.
Table for Decision Analysis (SEE ATTACHED)
Your role is to compute the expected value for the "Reject Christ" decision and pick the "best" choice to make.

Table for Decision Analysis
States of Nature
Decision to be made
God exists There is no God
Expected value
Accept Christ
Heaven "Good, clean" life
$100 $10
$19.00
Reject Christ
Hell "Normal" life
-$100 $5
Probability
0.10 0.90
Your role is to compute the expected value for the “Reject Christ”
decision and pick the “best” choice to make.

Recently Asked Questions

Why Join Course Hero?

Course Hero has all the homework and study help you need to succeed! We’ve got course-specific notes, study guides, and practice tests along with expert tutors.

-

Educational Resources
  • -

    Study Documents

    Find the best study resources around, tagged to your specific courses. Share your own to gain free Course Hero access.

    Browse Documents
  • -

    Question & Answers

    Get one-on-one homework help from our expert tutors—available online 24/7. Ask your own questions or browse existing Q&A threads. Satisfaction guaranteed!

    Ask a Question