At the end of the year, a business has made a profit of $151,000. They must calculate the amount of tax due to the federal government and to the state. The federal tax rate is 30%, and the state tax rate is 10%. State taxes (ST) are deductible before federal taxes (FT) are calculated, and federal tax are deductible before states taxes are calculated. In other words, state taxes are subtracted from the profits before the 30% federal tax is calculated, and federal taxes are subtracted from the profits before the 10% state tax is calculated. 10% or 30 % of 151,000 does not require a system of equations to solve. Do not begin in this manner. Create and solve a system of equations to figure out how much state and federal taxes are owed by this company
Cook, B. (2004)and Dugopolski. Math demo class. retrieved March 19, 2004.
1. Identify the variables first. Do not confuse the tax rate with the amount of tax.
2. Set up a system of two equations. This is the only way that this problem can be solved.
3. Solve the system. Remember to report the answer in dollars.
Recently Asked Questions
- What is the laminar flow rate of water in a pipe with an internal radius of 0.008-m and a length of 4.0 m if the pressure difference across the pipe is 2.0
- General electric manufactures a decorative Crystal clear 60 watt light bulb has lifetime normally distributed with the mean of 1550 hours and a standard
- April 27 th was the most active day of the “Super Outbreak of 2011” (do an internet search to learn more about this event), which took place between April