At the end of the year, a business has made a profit of $151,000. They must calculate the amount of tax due to the federal government and to the state. The federal tax rate is 30%, and the state tax rate is 10%. State taxes (ST) are deductible before federal taxes (FT) are calculated, and federal tax are deductible before states taxes are calculated. In other words, state taxes are subtracted from the profits before the 30% federal tax is calculated, and federal taxes are subtracted from the profits before the 10% state tax is calculated. 10% or 30 % of 151,000 does not require a system of equations to solve. Do not begin in this manner. Create and solve a system of equations to figure out how much state and federal taxes are owed by this company
Cook, B. (2004)and Dugopolski. Math demo class. retrieved March 19, 2004.
1. Identify the variables first. Do not confuse the tax rate with the amount of tax.
2. Set up a system of two equations. This is the only way that this problem can be solved.
3. Solve the system. Remember to report the answer in dollars.
Recently Asked Questions
- use the table below to to determine the expected value of perfect information the probabilities for the states of nature are s1=0.20, s2=0.30 and s3 0.50 state
- Population variance and standard deviation Thank you
- Ten friends decide to play basketball, and they randomly break into two teams of 5. What is the probability that Mike and Joe will be playing against each