Answer the following questions. Use Equation Editor to write mathematical expressions and equations. First, save this file to your hard drive by selecting Save As from the File menu. Click the white space below each question to maintain proper formatting.
Hint for this assignment: Pay attention to the units of measure. You may have to convert from feet to miles several times in this assignment. You can use 1 mile = 5,280 feet for your conversions.
1. Many people know that the weight of an object varies on different planets, but did you know that the weight of an object on earth also varies according to the elevation of the object? In particular, the weight of an object follows this equation: w = Cr^-2 , where C is a constant, and r is the distance that the object is from the center of the earth.
a. Solve the equationÂ Â for r.
b. Suppose that an object is 100 pounds when it is at sea level. Find the value of C that makes the equation true. (Sea level is 3,963 miles from the center of the earth.)
c. Use the value of C you found in the previous question to determine how much the object would weigh in
i. Death Valley (282 feet below sea level)
ii. The top of Mt McKinley (20,320 feet above sea level)
2. The equation D= 1.2 x sqare root h gives the distance, D, in miles that a person can see to the horizon from a height, h, in feet.
Recently Asked Questions
- 1. From which layer of the sun does the sun's light come? 2. Name the interior parts of the sun. 3. Name the atmospheric parts of the sun. 4. What is the
- With some further work you calculate that the resting rate of receptor internalization is 2x10-3 min-1 . How many receptor molecules does the cell synthesize
- Question:I would like some assistance with this HW question that is do on 4/23 by 9PM EST. Explanations would be great and Thank You very much!