1. Why does wine have a 12% alcohol concentration?
style="color:#000000;">2.Why does bread rise? What's the microbial "food," and why does it give the yeast gas?
3. List four products of microbial fermentation that you use in everyday life.
4. What are the possible bacterial origins of methane?
5. Eukaryotic cells use mitochondria for respiration. How can prokaryotic cells, which lack these organelles, perform this function? Where would it happen and why here?
6. Why do we only get a 40% efficiency for aerobic respiration?
7. Compare fermentation and respiration: in which process would you have to consume more glucose to get equivalent amounts of ATP? What waste products are produced? How do these waste products affect the overall growth of the bacteria?