The National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) is a non-profit organization comprised of members from each state board of nursing in the U.S., the District of Columbia, and the four U.S. territories. Their role is to provide a platform for all state boards of nursing to convene, discuss, and ensure all state boards work together to provide the appropriate regulation to ensure that public health, safety, and welfare is the primary focus. A key element of NP licensure is understanding the components of Scope of Practice and subsequent practice within the parameters of the educational program completed and appropriate national certification.To prepare:
- Consider whether primary care NP graduates are qualified to seek employment in acute care settings such as ER, OR, or hospitalist/intensivist
- Review and select one of the following case studies to research in depth:
- Case Study One: Selecting the Certification Exam for your specialty.
- Mary is in the last two months of her program of study. She is trying to decide whether to take the American Association of Nurse Practitioner Credentialing Exam or the American Nurses Credentialing Exam.
- Case Study Two: Obtaining initial licensure post matriculation.
- Amy, FNP-BC has recently graduated from an accredited Family Nurse Practitioner Program. She decides to relocate from her home state of Tennessee to Missouri and practice in a rural area. She is very excited about her new role and new position.
Post an explanation of the professional and/or clinical practice issues the new Nurse Practitioner will need to consider and address with the certification, licensure, credentialing, or relocation process. Compare Scope of Practice between the Acute Care, Family Practice, and Adult Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner and how practice may differ from state to state. Then, identify and explain at least two types of settings that are appropriate for FNP and AGPCNP graduates to practice.
Read a selection of your colleagues' responses.By Day 7
Respond to at least two of your colleagues on three different days in one or more of the ways listed below. Respond to colleagues who selected a different Case Study than you did.
- Reflect on the differences between certifying bodies that offer credentialing exams for registered nurses.
- Provide key components a Nurse Practitioner should consider when relocating from one state to another.
Recently Asked Questions
- In an Innocence Project, but only had the resources to help one falsely accused person? What criteria would be best to decide who to help? What severity or
- If the obtained probability in an experiment equals 0.1500, then the probability that chance alone is at work equals 0.1500. Is this statement true? Explain.
- A panel of consumers was asked to rate "Natural Vitaglo" breakfast cereal before and after a change in manufacturing techniques. A higher number reflects a