Analysis of Community Strengths, Weaknesses Opportunities and Threats (SWOT) to HealthCourse Outcome
Assess the cultural, social, genetic, and ecological determinants of the population's health.
provide an in depth analysis of community based epidemiologic data to gain an understanding of the health of your community as a whole. A review of data related to culturally and socially diverse populations and other indicators related to health will help you objectively define health problems and health trends in your community. In order to develop initiatives that will improve the health of the community, you will need to identify the strengths of the community related to the public's health, threats to health, weaknesses, strengths, and challenges related to healthcare delivery and opportunities for improvement. These four areas are the elements of a SWOT analysis.
Identify a community of interest and locate data related to major health problems in the community. Examine epidemiologic data (e.g., incidence, morbidity, and mortality rates) in your community and identify major health problems. Community public health data may be retrieved from the annual reports and the state public health website. The following websites will also help you obtain data that is specific to your community:
County Health Rankings. (2017). How healthy is your community? Retrieved from
US Census Bureau. (2017). American fact finder. Retrieved from
The Kaiser Family Foundation. (2017). State health facts. Retrieved from http://kff.org/statedata/
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2017). National center for health statistics. Retrieved from
American FactFinder. (n.d.). Community facts. Retrieved from
The following website will assist you as you conduct a SWOT analysis as you explore your community's health.
Once you have located relevant information related to key health indicators in your community, you will set up a 4-quadrant table identifying the four elements of the SWOT (S= Strengths; W= Weaknesses; O= Opportunities; and T= Threats) analysis. You will:
- identify four strengths of the community related to the public's health;
- identify four threats affecting the health of the community;
- identify four weaknesses related to healthcare delivery; and
- Identify four opportunities for improvement.
Include an introductory paragraph that provides a summary of the major problem and contributory factors.
Include one paragraph that summarizes the health of the community based on the SWOT analysis.
- Use principles of sound reasoning, such as identifying the issues, formulating inferences, determining conclusions, and assessing implications.
- Use a minimum of three references. One can be your text.
- Include a title and (s).
Recently Asked Questions
- Focus Groups - Read the Article: http://blog.motivemetrics.com/Focus-Groups-Why-People-Behave-Differently-When-They-Are-Being-Watched, and create a specific
- What leadership strategies can a nurse executive use to engage staff in the decision-making process?
- It is said the stocks can be manipulated, can someone kindly explain to me how so?