ssignment 1: Assessing the Genitalia and Rectum
Patients are frequently uncomfortable discussing with health care professional's issues that involve the genitalia and rectum; however, gathering an adequate history and properly conducting a physical exam are vital. Examining case studies of genital and rectal abnormalities can help p advanced practice nurses to accurately assess patients with problems in these areas.
I consider case studies that describe abnormal findings in patients seen in a clinical setting.
analyze a SOAP note case study that describes abnormal findings in patients seen in a clinical setting. You will consider what history should be collected from the patients, as well as which physical exams and diagnostic tests should be conducted. You will also formulate a differential diagnosis with several possible conditions.
- CC: "I have bumps on my bottom that I want to have checked out."
- HPI: AB, a 21-year-old WF college student reports to your clinic with external bumps on her genital area. She states the bumps are painless and feel rough. She states she is sexually active and has had more than one partner over the past year. Her initial sexual contact occurred at age 18. She reports no abnormal vaginal discharge. She is unsure how long the bumps have been there but noticed them about a week ago. Her last Pap smear exam was 3 years ago, and no dysplasia was found; the exam results were normal. She reports one sexually transmitted infection (chlamydia) about 2 years ago. She completed the treatment for chlamydia as prescribed.
- PMH: Asthma
- Medications: Symbicort 160/4.5mcg
- Allergies: NKDA
- FH: No hx of breast or cervical cancer, Father hx HTN, Mother hx HTN, GERD
- Social: Denies tobacco use; occasional etoh, married, 3 children (1 girl, 2 boys)