1) Mr. Rzepka is a 50-year-old male who has just been started on a new medication for an infection and is very confused about this medication. During morning rounds, he heard the care team mention terms including loading dose, half-life, first-pass effect, and excretion. Mr. Rzepka wants to know what these terms mean and what they have to do with his new medication.
a. Develop a teaching plan that explains the following terms:
· First-pass effect
· Excretion (including the primary organ involved)
b. Explain the importance of a loading dose. Why do some drugs require loading dosing and others do not?
2) The nurse is preparing to administer medications and understands the importance of being able to recognize an adverse drug reaction. When preparing to administer medications to Mrs. Smith, the patient states she is allergic to diphenhydramine (Benadryl). In questioning the patient regarding her reaction, she states that it makes her very sleepy.
a. Explain the reasons for an adverse drug reaction.
b. Is this patient allergic to diphenhydramine? Explain.
Discuss the four types of allergic reactions.
Recently Asked Questions
- Review the assigned readings from the text and the following case scenarios at the ends of Chapter 2 and Chapter 3: Introducing the Pinto Fires Case
- What positive and negative trends could be determined by a company who has nearly 20% more total revenue, 45% less gross profit and 50% less operating expenses
- Identify tangible and intangible resources at Marvel Enterprises and describe how they contribute to the development of specific capabilities. Using the four