You are seeing Michael "Jazzy" Myer today at clinic. The chief complaint is "I need my medications refilled" on
the chart. Jazzy is a Puerto Rican transgender male to female patient who is new to the practice. She has been scheduled for a 15-minute appointment today so you know you will need to address the problem for today and schedule a return new patient visit. The patient has a history of hypertension, chronic kidney disease, chronic pain, and diabetes type 2.
· Estradiol Valerate 60 mgs IM q 2 weeks
· Sprionolactone 200 mgs PO q day
· Amlodipine 10 mgs PO q day
· Vicodin 7.5 mgs q 6 hours PO prn pain
· Metformin 1000 mgs PO BID q day
After you open the interview and invite the patient to tell her story, Jazzy says, "I was just release from San Quentin a week ago and I have been out of my medication since I was arrested 2 years ago." I really need my pain medication and Valium. I am so nervous.
Directions:Complete the following table based on the case description.
1. Develop 2 open-ended "request questions" to begin your patient interview today.
2. Develop 2 focused questions that invite the patient to briefly tell you their story.
3. Identify 2 cultural considerations that may positively or negatively influence the data collection process.
4. Identify a belief or assumption that you hold that may influence your ability to build a relationship with the patient.
5. List two things you can do to make the clinic environment welcoming to your patient.