50) Which of the following statements is consistent with a...
50) Which of the following statements is consistent with a humanistic-existential approach when the patient starts talking about past event?
A . Tell me about your childhood.
B . Tell me what happened last week.
C . Let's just focus on the here and now.
D . Tell me the story as if it were happening now
51) Memories of the drug related event may be modified through various therapies including which of the following
A . CBT
B . EMDR
C . Pharmacological interventions
D . All of the above
52) Which of the following is not consistent with humanistic-experiential techniques?
A . May include working with dreams or the empty chair.
B . Use of creative arts such as drawing, music and movement.
C . Humanistic-existential therapists interpret for the patient and provide guiding advice.
D . Humanistic-existential therapists use techniques that are reflective and experimental in style
53) In working with an older adult female patient, the advanced practice psychiatric nurse notices that the patient starts bringing her baked goods, and says "You remind me so much of my daughter, you are so easy to talk to." The advanced practice psychiatric nurse recognizes this as
A . Gerotranscendence
B . Transference
C . Countertransference
D . Time for termination
54 ) Which of the following trends life trends suggests advanced practice psychiatric nurse be prepared to provide mental health and illness treatment in a variety of community and nontraditional settings.
A . More older men than women living alone.
B . Greatest percentage of older adults living in nursing homes.
C . Projected doubling of number of homeless adults between 2010 and 2050.
D . More older adults preferring to leave their homes to seek other living arrangements.
55) The advanced practice psychiatric nurse using Dialectical Behavior Therapy with a patient with borderline personality disorder uses persuasive dialogue to do which of the following?
A . Invite the patient to new ways of viewing a situation
B . Guiding patient to develop more skills to achieve a greater quality of life.
C . Engage the patient in change talk
D . A and B Evidence supports
56) which of the following statements about women and addictions treatment?
A . Women seeking treatment for substance use disorder are more likely than men to have experienced traumatic events.
B . Women are more apt to drop out of treatment than men.
C . Women are less likely than men to seek mental health services.
D . Women are less likely than men to participate in group therapy.
57) Which of the following is not consistent with Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) literature in treating PTSD?
A . Treatment effects are long lasting.
B . EMDR involves extended exposure
C . EMDR treatment for trauma is less time intensive.
D . The aim is to reduce the subject distress and strengthen adaptive beliefs related to the traumatic event.
58) The advanced practice psychiatric nurse encourages the older adult to recall long forgotten experiences, events which are memorable to the person. This is known as
A . Life Review Therapy (LRT)
B . Reminiscence Therapy (RT)
C . A Mindfulness Strategy
D . Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT)
59) Dysfunctional processes, developed early in life that people employ in an attempt to meet their Needs, are referred to by the Gestalt therapist as which of the following?
A . Interruptions
B . Figure and ground
C . Layers of personality
D . Organismic self regulation
60) The therapeutic frame supports the clinician in which of the following ways? Select all that apply.
A . Maintaining a therapeutic stance of neutrality.
B . Maintaining a therapeutic stance of anonymity.
C . Maintaining a therapeutic stance of non intrusiveness.
D . A and C
61) The advanced practice psychiatric nurse is working with a patient with who is chronically suicidal. The advanced practice psychiatric nurse using a Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) approach realizes which of the following?
A . Every time the patient has suicidal ideations hospitalization is recommended.
B . To the chronically suicidal patient, hospitalization reinforces the status quo and abdicating the hard work of change.
C . To the chronically suicidal patient hospitalization frequent hospitalizations allow a safe place to learn new coping behaviors and promote change.
D . The Advanced practice psychiatric nurse should not be using DBT with a chronically suicidal patient.
62) The concept of resiliency in child therapies is in direct contrast to which traditional approach for treating children?
A . Family inclusion
B . The concept of recovery
C . Problem-based therapy
D . Interacting systems consideration
63) Stigma of mental illness in the elderly:
A . Has contributed to psychiatric symptoms being expressed with physical symptoms.
B . Is much more severe in baby boomers than in other elderly cohorts.
C . Is much less an issue in baby boomers than in other elderly cohorts
D . Leads to more discussion of emotions in primary care settings.
64 ) Which of the following is not consistent with the Psychoanalyst's perspective when treating and individual with a personality disorder?
A . It is important to identify and then modify "core" problems when treating individuals with personality disorders.
B . Personality structures are unconscious and thus mostly unavailable to the individual.
C . Personality products and processes are within the realm of awareness, accessible to the individual.
D . Psychoanalytic therapy is an effective treatment for Borderline personality disorder
65) Which of the following statements would not be consistent with the humanistic-existential concept of "holism" ?
A People are unique..
B . The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
C . Mind, body, spirit work in a unified synergistic fashion.
D . Dysfunctions such as a chemical imbalance must be identified.
66) Which of the following is true about dreamwork from a Gestalt perspective?
A . The individual tells the dream in past tense
B . Elements of the dream are viewed using standardized dream symbol meaning.
C . A dream diary is required to capture all elements of the team.
D . The characters and objects in the dream are projections of the individual whose dream it is.
67) When the advanced practice psychiatric nurse builds a formulation when working with a child in therapy the advanced practice psychiatric nurse is doing which of the following?
A . Formulation is a type of play therapy.
. Formulation is the child's diagnosis.
C . The formulation explains the contexts of the child and family situation, the child's unique presentation, responses and narratives of the events that shaped the interpretation.
D . The formulation is the treatment plan.
68) In providing psychoeducation to patient's in recovery, the advanced practice psychiatric nurse would not include which of the following?
A . Recovery is a lifelong process of change
B . A patient is considered recovered after 5 years free of substance use.
C . Recovery encompasses dimensions of health, home, purpose and community.
D . Recovery applies to recovery from mental disorder, substance use disorders and behavioral addictions.
69) Which best describes gerotranscendence?
A Erik Erikson's ninth stage of development .
B . Emphasizes ongoing growth over decrements
C . Focuses on the transition to old-old (80 years and older).
D . Focuses on letting go and coming to terms with end of one's life
70) The advanced practice psychiatric nurse is working with a group of patients in an outpatient substance abuse treatment program. One patient comes to the advanced practice psychiatric nurse after the group session and asks if the advanced practice psychiatric nurse would meet at a nearby Starbucks to clarify a couple of questions that came up at the end of the session and fears relapse. Which of the following would be consistent with the traditional therapeutic frame?
A . Given concerns about relapse it would be important to meet with the patient just this one time and just for 10 minutes but meet in your office.
B . Remind the patient that one of the rules is not having contact outside of therapy sessions.
C . Agree to meet with patient alone in the group room to resolve any outstanding concerns from the group.
D . Agree to meet with the patient at Starbucks briefly to discuss the unresolved issues, but only this once and only for 10 minutes.
71) The situation in which increasing amounts of a substance is needed to achieve the same desired effect is known as which of the following?
A . Addiction
B . Tolerance
C . Withdrawal
D . Dependence
72) Which of the following describes the basic neurobiological pathways of the reward system in the brain?
A . Projections from the ventral tegmental area, through the median forebrain and terminate in the nucleus accumbens where there is a proliferation of dopamine neurons.
B . Projections through the median forebrain, to the ventral tegmental area where there is a proliferation of dopamine neurons, to the nucleus accumbens.
C . Projections from the nucleus accumbens to the median forebrains where there is a proliferation of dopamine neurons to the ventral tegmental area.
D . Projections from the median forebrain through the ventral tegmental area to the nucleus accumbens where there is a proliferation of dopamine neurons.
73) Evidence supports use of Dialectical Behavior Therapy patients with which of the following diagnoses?
A . Schizophrenia
B . New onset depression
C . Bipolar Affective Disorder
D . Borderline Personality Disorder
74) The existential concept of an openness, readiness, and flexibility to grow and change, which necessitates a capacity to choose alternatives, and shape one's own destiny as authors of creating their own world is which of the following?
A . Freedom
B . Responsibility
C . Authenticity
D . Meaning
75) Using a psychodynamic psychotherapy stage oriented model for the treatment of trauma, the advanced practice psychiatric nurse would do which of the following in Stage 1?
A . Address safety issues
B . Promote symptoms stabilization
C . Process painful memories
D . A and C
76) The advanced practice psychiatric nurse is working with a patient who states she believes her boss hates her. After some discussion, it is clear the patient has strong negative feelings towards her boss. The advanced practice psychiatric nurse working within a Gestalt framework, recognizes this as an interruption consistent with which of the following?
A Projection .
B . Retroflection
C . Confluence
D . Deflection
77) The patient in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) expresses frustration that the skills taught don't work, the process is taking too long, and is struggling to complete homework. The advanced practice psychiatric nurse using a DBT model would do which of the following?
A . Validate the patient 's frustration while encouraging and reinforcing use of skills.
B . Analyze the behaviors and consequences of the behaviors with the patient.
C . Focus on behavioral control and management with emotions as a contextual element.
D . All of the above
78) An organized, consistent set of perceptions about the self, continually influenced by experience and its interpretation which includes self-worth, self-image and ideal self, is which key concept of person-centered therapy?
A . Belief of human nature
B . Self-concept
C . Actualizing tendency
D . Fully functioning person
79) The advanced practice psychiatric nurse using a Dialectical Behavior Therapy approach with a patient with Borderline Personality Disorder explains the four essential elements which includes all but which of the following?
A . Bi-weekly individual therapy sessions for the patient of about 1 hour each.
B . Weekly group skills training sessions for the patient of 2.5 hours each.
C . Skills coaching via telephone or other electronic means as needed by the patient to manage I vivo situations
D . Team consultation to the therapist to maintain treatment fidelity and adherence
80) The advanced practice psychiatric nurse working with a patient with a borderline character structure realizes the psychodynamic treatment of choice for those with borderline character structure is which of the following?
A . Expressive psychotherapy
B . Supportive psychotherapy
C . Psychoanalytic psychotherapy
D . A combination of all of the above.
Unlock full access to Course Hero
Explore over 16 million step-by-step answers from our librarySubscribe to view answer
, dictumsus ante, d
ur laoreamet, conse
m ipsumsus ante, d
ac, dictuet, consect
m ipsumsus ante, d
ongue veliscing elit
ur laoresus ante, d
m ipsumamet, conse
ongue veamet, conse
Donec asus ante, d
ongue veet, consect
a molestiamet, conse
, dictumet, consect
usce duiiscing elit
itur lamet, conse
m ipsumet, consect
ongue vesus ante, d
m ipsumiscing elit
rem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nam lacinia pulvinar tortor nec facilisis. Pellent
- acinia pulvinar tortor nec facil
- icitur laoreet. Nam risus ante, dapibus a
- , ultrices ac magna. Fusce dui le
- s a molestie consequat, ultrices ac magna. Fusce
ipiscing elit. Nam lacinia pulvinar tortor nec facilisis. Pellentesq