Management Challenges within Production Operations and Process Types
Discuss your thoughts about the unique staffing, training, and motivational challenges that may be encountered within the typical production operation such as those we discuss in class, including: Job Shop, Continuous Flow, Machine Paced Line Flow, Worker Paced Line Flow, Batch, Hybrid - focus on one process type.
Staffing - manpower or machine power? (Links to an external site.)
have included the links to the videos to help answer the question, the class I am taking is PROC 5820 Operations Management the text book is Custom Business Resources complied by Plant & Service Tours in Operations Management, Roger Schmenner ISBN-13 978-0-536-64677-4, ISBN-10 0-536-64677-5
Tour C is a Batch Flow Process and the example company is Jos A. Banks (soon to be part of Men's Warehouse). They make clothing so I am guessing there are lots of other examples on the web and I have included one:
American Apparel (Links to an external site.)
Tour D is a Machine-Paced Line Flow and the example company is a Carrier Heating manufacturer. Again, lots of examples - auto plants are among them, think traditional assembly line. I have included a video of such a factory:
Broan HVAC (Links to an external site.)
And here's an alternative machine-paced line flow:
Candy Factory (Links to an external site.)
Discuss your findings concerning Tours C and D, according to the topics listed below:
1. Identify key production planning considerations (which, when and how much of each to produce, methods of dealing with short/long term changes in capacity demand).
2. Identify potential bottlenecks (use process flow diagram in text) and discuss possible methods of breaking them.
3. Point out any special considerations, which should be accorded to managing the workforce.
4. Identify significant issues pertaining to materials management within the process (i.e. inventory management, supplier selection, etc.)
5. Discuss the significant aspects of quality control as they relate to this process.
6. How is this industry likely to be affected by technological change?
To what degree does vertical integration exist?
261,329 students got unstuck by Course
Hero in the last week
Our Expert Tutors provide step by step solutions to help you excel in your courses