a) The underdeveloped nations of the world are making excellent progress.
b)There is greater parity between the Most Industrialized and Least Industrialized Nations.
c) There has been no change in the status of nations.
d) New technologies benefit the Industrializing and Least Industrialized Nations at a far greater degree than the Most Industrialized Nations.
2)Bruce, a US Senator, owns about 3,000 acres of prime farmland, is one of the wealthiest men in the county, and enjoys a great deal of prestige in his community. In view of this, how would sociologists describe Bruce as it pertains to social class?
a) Bruce is status inconsistent because wealth and prestige seldom go together.
b) Bruce is status consistent because of his high ranking in the three dimensions.
c) Without additional information it is impossible to determine Bruce's social class.
d) If Bruce is "old money," he is status consistent, but he is status inconsistent if he is "new money."
3) Jocko is a drug dealer who makes well over a million dollars a year. He lives in a magnificent home and has a "squad" of other dealers and gang members who support and protect him. In view of this, which of the following is the best description of Jocko based on middle class standards?
a) Jocko is status consistent because of his high ranking on property and power.
b) Jocko is "new money," and because of this must be considered as being status inconsistent.
c) Jocko is status inconsistent because his prestige score as a drug dealer is not consistent with his rank in property and power.
d) Jocko is status consistent because wealth and property are the most important dimensions of social class.
4) Based on the author's account of the relationship between physical health and social class, which of the following statements would be most accurate?
a) There is an inverse relationship between social class and physical health.
b) There is no observable relationship between social class and physical health.
c) There is a positive relationship between social class and physical health.
d) Social class is only related to physical health among minorities.
5) From a sociological perspective, which of the following statements best summarizes the meaning of race?
a) Race is entirely dependent upon fixed biological characteristics.
b) The definition of race varies, depending upon the society in which its meaning is constructed.
c) The definition of race tends to be quite similar in all cultures.
d) The definition of race varies, depending upon the age of people who use the term.
6)Prejudice describes ________ , while discrimination describes ________.
a) values; attitudes
b) norms; beliefs
c) attitudes; actions
d) actions; attitudes
7) The majority of students graduating with a degree in library science are women. Research has shown that this sex-typing of majors is primarily due to ________.
a) natural abilities caused by differences in sex
b) women's higher levels of empathy
c) gender socialization
d) the prestige of being a librarian
Recently Asked Questions
- write a java program for a deadlock game? the program should be able to run
- Mark Lee is an IT technician whose supervisor has assigned the task of configuring twenty new servers, which Mark is to ship to the company’s branch offices
- Econ 101: 2) A fall in the price of X from $6 to $4 results in an increase in the quantity of Y demanded (at the current price of Y) from 900 to 1,100 units.