Analyst job descriptions are important in attracting the best candidate for the position. The job description for a Criminal Intelligence Analyst is listed below. Read through it, and then submit a two-page paper responding to the following questions
CRIMINAL INTELLIGENCE ANALYST
Performs routine duties researching and analyzing criminal activities and reports for a law enforcement agency.
Employees in this class perform duties of average difficulty requiring reasonable initiative and independent judgment under general supervision.
NOTE: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
• Researches and analyzes criminal intelligence data in response to requests for assistance in solving crimes.
• Analyzes daily criminal activity reports to identify methods of operation, trends, and possible suspects to assist law enforcement personnel to solve or prevent crimes.
• Updates computerized crime data files to maintain the latest information on possible suspects, organized criminals, subversive organizations, and known career criminals.
• Prepares and distributes current criminal intelligence information reports to internal staff and other agencies to keep apprised of current information.
• Performs other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Working knowledge of the principles, practices, methods and procedures used in crime research and analysis
• Working knowledge of research methods and crime analysis techniques
• Working knowledge of computer database and spreadsheet systems
• Some knowledge of the Uniform Crime Reporting system
• Some knowledge of the principles of law enforcement administration and crime prevention
• Ability to collect, organize, and evaluate data and develop logical conclusions
• Ability to handle confidential information
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
• Ability to maintain work related records and prepare reports
• Ability to work effectively with others
• Ability to follow oral and written instruction
• Ability to use a computer and related software
You must possess one of the three following sets of qualifications:
1. Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year, degree-granting college or university with a major in a Behavioral or Social Science, Criminal Justice, Mathematics, Statistics, Public or Business Administration.
2. Associate's Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in a Behavioral or Social Science, Criminal Justice, Mathematics, Statistics, Public or Business Administration, plus at least one year of work experience analyzing data, developing trend charts/graphs, and writing summary reports.
3. High school diploma or equivalency, plus at least three years of work experience analyzing data, developing trend charts/graphs, and writing summary reports.
APPOINTING AUTHORITY MAY REQUIRE: Possession of a current Drivers License.
1. Based on this job description for an Intelligence Analyst, what stands out as being the key qualifications that are addressed here and why?
2. If you were applying for a position based on the job description posted and you possessed the minimum required elements, how would you proceed and what steps would you take?
Dear Student Please find... View the full answer