You will observe a preschool child between the ages of 2 and 5 years for at least one hour. The child must be less than 6 years old for this observation. It can be your own child, a neighbor, your niece or nephew, a child at a preschool ETC. You may not use videos.
In the heading of your paper include the following information:
Observation date and time:
Facility/Location where the observation took place:
Location of observation (inside, outside, living room, park etc.):
Age of child:
(note: you do not need to include the child's name for privacy)
1. In the first paragraph, provide a general description of the child.
2. In what stage of cognitive development is the child in according to Piaget? How do you know? Use the textbook for reference. Give 3 examples of behaviors that reflect the child's developmental stage of cognitive growth.
Examples might be of a child using symbolic thought, showing egocentrism (in thinking), showing a grasp of numbers or using memory. Don't just say "the child uses symbolic thought". You must describe what you observed to support your statement.
3. How does the child use language? Give 3 examples of language used and evaluate the child's language according to the textbook's description for preschool age children. Indicate characteristics such as vocabulary, sentence structure, body language etc. Was the child effective at communicating with those around him/her?
4. Describe a short sequence of the child's play (approximately 5-10 minutes), using details to describe what you observe.
What was the child learning through play?
How was he/she learning? Refer to Piaget, Vygotsky, and other theories that you believe have
been illustrated in the play sequence.
What kind(s) of play was the child engaged in? (solitary, onlooker, parallel, associative, cooperative, rough
and tumble, sociodramatic)
How was the play contributing to the child's growth and development?
Your observation should be 2 to 3 pages, typed and double spaced. Your observation must be proofread for grammar and spelling. If your observation is hard to read because of grammar and spelling errors you will receive a deduction of 5-10 points.
If you need a letter verification the assignment to give to a preschool/childcare, let me know.
Recently Asked Questions
- How would elections be accurately described as managed revolutions?
- Explain some steps that an organizations can take to help protect themselves from attacks; that is hackers or what is known as cyber attack?
- I would like to know how to calculate the collections from previous quarters for the new Q1. Collection period 57 beginning cash balance 210,000 (not sure if