1. Your optic nerve is ~50 mm long and the conductivity velocity is ~1.2 m/s. How much time does it take for a visual stimulus to reach the brain, in milliseconds? (Hint: distance = velocity * time. Be careful with your units!)
2. You have ~68 cm of median and ulnar motor nerves between the brain and your finger and, this time, the impulse travels at 55 m/s. How much time it takes for your brain to control your finger? (Watch your units!)
3- It takes an additional 100 ms to process information in the brain and for the muscles in the hand to cause your fingers to press the button. Determine your total estimated visual reaction time. How does it compare with your measured visual reaction time? (Use the consistency test; use an error (????????) of 0 ms on the total estimated value)
4- From Q3, what can you say about the agreement between your estimated and measured visual reaction times? How can you explain the discrepancy? (Any assumptions made? Any systematic errors not accounted for?)
5- If you have already taken 30 measurements, how many more measurements of auditory reaction time would you have to take to reduce ???????????????????? (i.e. increase precision) by a factor of two, assuming ???? does not change?
6- You are driving a car traveling at 100 km/h and you are tailgating another car at a distance of 9 m. The car in front of you stops abruptly, you are tired and your reaction time is now 500 ms (time between seeing the brake lights of the car ahead and hitting the brake). How far will your car travel during your slower reaction time? Will you hit the car in front of you?
Recently Asked Questions
- which plays a more significant role in american political behavior, gender or race? How?.
- In relative terms, which of the following involves minimal global investment? a) Exporting b) Importing c) Global sourcing d) Licensing
- For the following neutralization reaction. HClO 4 (aq) + NaOH(aq) ---- H 2 O (l) + NaClO 4 (aq) A) Which one is acid? B) How many moles of acid is needed to