Click to run the simulation below:
Click to Run
PhET Interactive Simulations
University of Colorado
(Links to an external site.)
Links to an external site.
- Build the circuit shown below. Click "show Values" so that the voltage, inductance, and resistance are visible
- Describe how the circuit operates. Change the inductance value, the resistance value, and the battery voltage. How does current flow change?
- If you divide inductance by resistance, what is the unit for the quantity that results? Show your work below. The quotient of inductance (L) and resistance (R) is called the time constant. Does this name makes sense given the unit that you derived?
- An inductor will be fully charged/discharged in a time of 4 to 5 L/R. How long will it take your LR combination to fully charge or discharge? Show your work and L and R settings.
- Add the ammeter to your circuit and measure how current changes with time. Sketch graphs of current vs time for when the inductor is both charging and discharging.
- When is the brightness of the bulb increasing?
- When is the brightness of the bulb decreasing?
- When does the battery supply the potential to light the bulb?
- When does the inductor supply the potential to light the bulb?
- Does the direction of charge flow change through the inductor? If yes, explain when.
Recently Asked Questions
- I have to input this transaction into a general journal entry and I can't figure out what the description should be. transaction: "Placed an order with a
- Which of the following orders of events most commonly occurs with the cell-intrinsic pathway of apoptosis ?
- use formula A=P(1+r)^t A=$42,000 P=28,000 r=7% t=______?