Click to run the simulation below:
Click to Run
PhET Interactive Simulations
University of Colorado
(Links to an external site.)
Links to an external site.
- Build the circuit shown below. Click "show Values" so that the voltage, inductance, and resistance are visible
- Describe how the circuit operates. Change the inductance value, the resistance value, and the battery voltage. How does current flow change?
- If you divide inductance by resistance, what is the unit for the quantity that results? Show your work below. The quotient of inductance (L) and resistance (R) is called the time constant. Does this name makes sense given the unit that you derived?
- An inductor will be fully charged/discharged in a time of 4 to 5 L/R. How long will it take your LR combination to fully charge or discharge? Show your work and L and R settings.
- Add the ammeter to your circuit and measure how current changes with time. Sketch graphs of current vs time for when the inductor is both charging and discharging.
- When is the brightness of the bulb increasing?
- When is the brightness of the bulb decreasing?
- When does the battery supply the potential to light the bulb?
- When does the inductor supply the potential to light the bulb?
- Does the direction of charge flow change through the inductor? If yes, explain when.
Recently Asked Questions
- What is 1 new trend on the horizon that businesses needs to considerwhen offering the mazda salon cars to customers in the future?
- Erikson argues that deviance is NOT an objective quality of behavior; rather, social audiences label deviance based on directly or indirectly witnessing such
- Assume you own a small natural gas well and live in a world with only two periods, the present (0) and next year (1). The stock (S) of natural gas in the