WBIT 3111 IT Project Management Assignment 2: Work Breakdown Structure and Gantt Chart Campus Mobile App Project
Georgia State University has recently approved a project to implement a new campus mobile app for students. As the project manager, you have developed a preliminary scope statement with several product-related deliverables identified. To begin, you will need to complete Needs Assessment to identify what features students want on the app and develop the requirements for the project. The projected budget is $90,000 and the project is expected to last approximately 8 months. Several product-related tasks have been identified and listed below, however, additional research will be needed to develop the WBS and prepare the project schedule.
· Research similar projects to identify executing tasks for the project. The mobile app can either be developed in-house or commercial software purchased and implemented (either approach is fine however the executing tasks are very different for each option).
· Create Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) for the project in tabluar form using Word. See Figures 5-3 and 5-4 in your textbook for examples. The initial WBS should be defined in terms of what needs to be done to complete the project with deliverables stated as nouns (see the additional resources for guidance in preparing the WBS). Use the Project Management Process Groups (Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring & Controlling, and Closing) as the Level 2 tasks. Your final WBS structure for the project should identify a minimum of 30 total tasks decomposed to level 3 (1.1) or level 4 (1.1.1).
· Once you have developed the WBS, create project schedule (Gantt chart) in MS Project and estimate the duration for each task. Assign the task dependencies and milestones (approximately 3-4 milestones for the project). Appendix A: Guide to MS Project includes detailed instructions for creating summary tasks and entering task dependencies. The project duration from the Initiating Process to Closing should be approximately 8 months.
· Upload your WBS (Word) and the Gantt Chart (MS Project) to the Dropbox. For the schedule, create one-page view by adjusting the timescale to weeks-months, or save the file as a PDF or Snippet).
Product-Related Deliverables for the Campus Mobile App Project
(initial requirements are listed - your WBS should have additional deliverables listed based on your research. All deliverables listed below are part of the Executing process group):
· Survey Administration (To determine what features and functions students want access to in the app, a survey will
need to be created, administered, and results analyzed. Report on survey results to project steering committee).
· Research on mobile apps used by other Universities (Mobile App Research)
· Commercial software/apps review
· Customization options evaluation
· Vendor Selection (RFP, Vendor Review, Software Selection, etc.)
· Pilot Test
· Implementation (communication plan, incentive plan, etc.)
· Training end-users
WBS fully developed with tasks written in correct format (as deliverables), decomposed into the correct process groups, comprehensive, and realistic deliverables identified for project.
Project scheduled correctly using a Gantt chart (task dependencies set, timescale set (Weeks-Months), and durations set correctly and realistically); Milestones added to schedule.
Upload both documents (Word file for WBS) and PDF of Gantt chart (see example below). Be sure to adjust the timescale to weeks/months to show the duration of the project. You do not need to show the duration, start and finish dates on your submission file. Check the decomposition of your project so that all deliverables are stated in nouns. Activities on a schedule below the Level 3 deliverables would include verb phrases.