Using one of the following referral case studies, develop and outline a comprehensive Functional Behavioral Assessment Report. The specific objective of your Functional Behavioral Assessment Report is to demonstrate synthesis of the course material related to FBA's as they have been presented in the course. The FBA Report should be specifically related to only one of the following case scenarios.
- A third grade student in a public elementary school has been referred for behavior problems continuously for the past three months. This student is demonstrating consistently disruptive behaviors in this classroom and in other settings within the school (lunch, recess, specials, etc.). Disruptive behaviors have been termed "aggressive" and "non-compliant" by school staff.
- The parents of a four-year-old have asked for help in "getting control" of their child's behavior. The child has been consistently throwing "temper tantrums" at home and out in the community. The "tantrums" have become so frequent and intense, that the child has no virtually no demands placed on him or her and is frequently left to do whatever he or she wants to do. The family has become more or less homebound for fear of experiencing the "tantrums" out in public places.
- Johnny is a six-year-old child with autism. His communication skills are significantly deficient and he demonstrates a wide variety of problem behaviors. Most concerning is the tendency for him to demonstrate self-injurious behavior that has recently increased in frequency and intensity. An ER visit was necessitated by a recent incident of this behavior. Some of Johnny's more intense characteristics related to autism spectrum disorders include repetitive and ritualistic behavior patterns and an apparent need to collect and acquire a variety of specific tangible items such as Hot Wheels cars and Legos. Johnny is generally only "well behaved" when access to these items is free and frequent.
- A 35-year-old resident in a group home for adults with developmental disabilities has been knocking out windows in the house over the past several months. He or she has required medical attention for injuries sustained by this behavior and placement at the group home is now in jeopardy. This group home has three other residents. All residents in this group home are expected to complete various tasks around the house, participate in social interaction activities, and work two days a week at a workshop. So far, the behaviors have only been reported at the group home.
- Utilize the Unit 9 assignment template as a model for your report.
- At a minimum, your FBA Report must include discussion of the required components as reviewed at the beginning of chapter 12.
- For each of those components, you should include specific details as they would be related to the referral scenario you are addressing. Details would include descriptions of the assessment tools, forms, and procedures that would have been implemented.
- It is not necessary to report actual scores or responses of completed assessment forms and tools, but there should be in inclusion of some detailed information that could have been gained by utilizing such tools and procedures within the context of the case scenario you are working on. DO NOT simply list items.
- It is not necessary, nor appropriate, to include ALL of the assessment tools, forms, and procedures reviewed in the course. Be judicious in your choices and make good clinical decisions on what assessment procedures you are including.
- Develop hypotheses related to the function of the target behavior based on fictional specifics of the tools and procedures you have described in your report.
- All tools, forms, and procedures reviewed in Units 4-9 should be considered when developing the components to be included in your FBA Report, but, as stated above, not necessary to include all of them.
- It is expected that you will need to demonstrate "creativity" and/or "dramatic license" when outlining the steps of the Functional Behavioral Assessment you are reporting on.
- Assignment should be a minimum of 5-7 pages not including the title and reference pages.
- Use APA Format.
- Utilize the readings and other course material from the course.
- If you feel you must find outside resources for assistance, please utilize academically legitimate resources. (DO NOT use websites and Wiki's that are not peer-reviewed)
- DO NOT focus on the use of diagnoses or labels.
- Be specific and detailed; do not just list items and facts.
Submitting your Assignment
Create your Assignment as a Word document. Save it in a location and with a name that you will remember. When you are ready to submit, select the Unit 9 Assignment Dropbox and upload your file. To view your graded work after your instructor has evaluated it, please use the Dropbox or the Gradebook.