1. Your textbook refers to "the two-track mind". What are the two tracks the chapter talks
2. Compare REM sleep with non-REM sleep stages.?
3. How does selective attention directs our perceptions? Provide specific examples.
4. Briefly discuss 3 theories that attempt to explain why we dream.
5. A classmate believes that alcohol, marijuana, and cocaine all have similar effects on behavior and that therefore all three drugs ought to be legalized. Carefully evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of your classmate's position.
Nature Nurture and Human Diversity
6. What is a gene-environment interaction? Provide specific examples.
7. Most psychologists agree that natural selection prepares us for survival and reproduction. However, critics say there is a weakness in evolutionary psychology's explanation of our mating preferences. Explain those criticisms and discuss whether they are valid. Why or why not?
8. Children who grow up hearing one accent of speech at home and a different one from their peers will speak using which type of accent?
9. Describe one of your personality traits that you believe to be highly heritable and another trait that seems to be much less so. Provide reasons for your answer and explain why you would expect genetics to exert a greater impact on some personality traits than on others.
10. Discuss at least 3 cultural/environmental factors that may influence behavior.
Recently Asked Questions
- Your textbook presents a case study titled " The Case of Confusion " found on page 42. After reading Chapter 1 and that specific case study, respond to these
- in the journal article The Testing Effect in a Social Setting: Does Retrieval Practice Benefit a Listener? Magdalena Abel and Henry L. Roediger, III What were
- What are some of the risk factors for alcohol use disorders and which onesdo you feel are most significant and why?