1. Psychology is defined as:a. the science of behaviorb. the study of mental processes.
c. the study of mental disorders and their treatment
d. the science of behavior and mental processes.
2. Dr. Chen studies how people grow and change during late adolescence and young adulthood; Dr. Doherty focuses on several traits that distinguish one person from another. Dr. Chen is a ______________ psychologist; Dr. Doherty, a __________________.
a. personality psychologist; personality psychologist too
b. developmental psychologist; developmental psychologist too
c. developmental psychologist; personality psychologist
d. personality psychologist; developmental psychologist
3. Dr. Ebrahim examines the how children's friendships change through the elementary and middle-school years. Dr. Ebrahim is a (n) __________ psychologist.
4. Fiona helps students with ADHD develop effective study regimens and strategies. Fiona is probably a ________ psychologist.
5. Counseling psychologists are more likely than clinical psychologists to practice in:
d. both colleges and businesses
6. How is the diversity of psychology limited, even today?
a. There are very few psychologists of color.
b. The majority of psychologists are male.
c. Psychologists in the United States far outnumber those in all other countries combined.
d. Both A and B
7. Wundt began operating the first psychology lab in:
8. Which perspective most immediately replaced structuralism in the early days of scientific psychology?
9. Which of the following early women psychologists might be considered personality psychologists?
a. Leta Stetter Hollingworth
b. June Etta Downey
c. Karen Horney
d. Both B and C
10. Noreen asserts that our behavior often reflects unconscious motives and conflicts. This viewpoint is most consistent with the ________ perspective in psychology.
11. The fundamental units of the nervous system are nerve cells, called:
b. glial cells.
12. An axon is a (n):
a. neuron's cell body.
b. branchlike fiber extending in clusters from a neuron's cell body.
c. support cell in the nervous system.
d. long, tubelike structure extending from a neuron's cell body.
13. Dendrite is to axon as _________ is to _________.
a. receiving; sending
b. sending; receiving
c. reuptake; action potential
d. action potential; reuptak
14. At the broadest level, the nervous system is divided into the _________ and the _______ nervous systems.
a. primary; secondary
b. somatic; autonomic
c. sympathetic; parasympathetic.
d. central; peripheral
15. The brain and the spinal cord constitute the _________ nervous system.
16. Sensory is to motor as _______ is to ________.
a. efferent; afferent
b. afferent; efferent
c. afferent; interneuron
d. interneuron; effere
17. Somatic is to autonomic as _______ is to _______.
a. involuntary; voluntary
b. voluntary; involuntary
c. excitation; rest
d. rest; excitation
18. The amygdala is to emotion as the hippocampus is to:
c. decision making.
19. Which of the following sequences correctly identifies and orders the lobes of the cortex, from anterior to posterior?
a. frontal à temporal and parietal à posterior
b. occipital à temporal and parietal à frontal
c. frontal à occipital à temporal and parietal
d. frontal à temporal and parietal à occipital
20. You've had enough of your chronic headaches. Which of the pain management techniques described in your text is probably the most appropriate and effective remedy?
a. relaxation training
d. light therapy
21. Psychologists refer to our ongoing experience of ourselves, our thoughts and feelings, and our environment as:
22. Which of the following psychologists is CORRECTLY matched with a theory of the function of dreams?
a. Freud—wish-fulfillment theory
b. Hobson—dreams-for-survival theory
c. Hobson—wish-fulfillment theory
d. Freud—activation-synthesis theory
23. Four-year old DeMarcus falls asleep shortly after his 8:30 p.m. bedtime. About 9:45, he suddenly sits up in bed, breathing rapidly and appearing to be in a state of sheer panic. DeMarcus is experiencing:
a. a nightmare.
b. a narcoleptic attack.
c. night terrors.
d. sleep apnea.
24. Which of the following is NOT a recommended solution if one has trouble sleeping?
a. drinking warm milk
b. taking sleeping pills
c. exercising during the day
d. avoiding caffeine
25. In meditation, the focus of attention may be a (n):
c. part of the body.
d. Any of these
26. Which drug below is CORRECTLY matched with its class?
a. cocaine; narcotic
b. alcohol; depressant
c. marijuana; stimulant
d. heroin; hallucinogen
277,629 students got unstuck by Course
Hero in the last week
Our Expert Tutors provide step by step solutions to help you excel in your courses