Complete a timeline of the historical events that show the progression of the treatment of mental illness, based on the historical perspectives discussed in Chapter 1 of Abnormal Psychology in a Changing World. You should have between 5-8 events.
- Event 1
- Event 2
- Event 3
- Event 4
- Event 5
- Event 6
- Event 7
- Event 8
Review the contemporary perspectives of abnormal behavior listed in Ch. 2 of Abnormal Psychology in a Changing World.
Match the contemporary perspective on the right with the main tenet (idea/proposition) on the left by typing the corresponding letter of the matched perspective in the middle column. Each perspective may be used more than once.
Main Tenet (Idea/Proposition)
Contemporary Perspective of Abnormal Psychology
1. Unconscious conflicts manifest in symptoms of mental illness.
A. Biological Perspective
2. Psychotropic medications seek to treat mental illness by acting on neurotransmitters that may be malfunctioning.
B. Psychological Perspective - Psychodynamic Models
3. Manipulation of information may cause cognitive distortions. These errors in thinking produce maladaptive behaviors based on a distorted belief that was produced by an activating event.
C. Psychological Perspective - Learning Models
4. Mental illness is a product of learned behavior that is maladaptive.
D. Psychological Perspectives - Humanistic Models
5. The interactions of biological, psychological, and sociocultural factors contribute to abnormal behavior.
E. Psychological Perspectives - Cognitive Models
6. Genetic factors, defects in neurotransmitter functioning, and underlying brain abnormalities, contribute to mental illness.
F. Sociocultural Perspective
7. Our childhood experiences contribute to the development of mental illness.
G. Biopsychosocial Perspective
8. Abnormal behavior is caused by societal failures, and is a description of behavior that deviates from social norms.
9. A malfunction in the physiology of the body produces symptoms of mental illness.
10. Abnormal behavior manifests from a distorted concept of the self.
Recently Asked Questions
- Marr Company sells its products in reusable containers . The customer is charged a deposit for each container delivered and receives a refund for each
- Gaucher Corporation has provided the following data from its activity-based costing accounting system : The activity rate for the '' designing products ''
- Which statement is true ?