Read the remainder (pages 68-204) of Frederick Street: Life and Death on Canada's Love Canal by Maude Barlow and Elizabeth May.
Barlow, M., & May, E. (2000). Frederick Street: Life and death on Canada's Love Canal. Toronto: HarperCollins.
Read the following sections:
Introduction, pp. 1-2 Paradise Lost, pp. 3-19 Sons of Steel, pp. 20-43 In the Shadow of the Valley, pp. 44-67
This assignment is an exercise to help you prepare for your final exam. You are being evaluated on your ability to draw insight from your course materials in Units 1-5 as you compare three contaminated communities: Love Canal, Woburn, and Sydney. Back up your points with references to specific pages in your readings.
- Compare the routine release of toxins in Sydney and Woburn, the way the communities organized to have their environmental concerns addressed, how scientists worked with them (or did not), and how the government responded.
- Discuss the importance of lay knowledge in Woburn, Love Canal, and Sydney. Compare how effective the people in these three communities were in using this knowledge by working with scientists to challenge corporate pollution and push their governments to act.
- Why is environmental pollution so routine in the workplace and in the community (see Markowitz & Rosner, 2002)? How did the corporations in Sydney, Love Canal, and Woburn get away with exposing the communities to environmental toxins?
- Why was the JAG a farce? Draw insight from the Sydney and Woburn case studies to discuss how lay knowledge in contaminated communities is often discredited and public consultation a sham.
Please write in paragraph form, using headings for each topic. Your discussion of each topic should be approximately 375 words, for a total of 1500 words. For further information, please see the "Writing Essays" section of the Course Information.
Markowitz, G. E., & Rosner, D. (2002). Deceit and denial: The deadly politics of industrial pollution. Berkeley: University of California Press. Retrieved from https://0-ebookcentral-proquest-com.aupac.lib.athabascau.ca/lib/athabasca-ebooks/detail.action?docID=1110769
Recently Asked Questions
- This is a new company that has been in business for 2 months. Here are the financial documents. 1.A)Evaluate the company's performance. B)Is the large decline
- What keeps the side of earth NOT facing the sun from freezing? Any input and references you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.
- Phenotypes are often the combined result of genetics and the environment in which the genes are expressed .