Some biologists are interested in the relationship between the length and width of an animal's mouth, because that relationship can influence the animal's diet. Although the length and width are obviously both dependent on the animal's size, it is reasonable to assume that the relationship does not change in mature animals of the same species.
The file crocs.csv contains the following variables, measured on 25 American crocodiles (Crocodylus acutus):
· Length: the length of the mouth, in mm
· Width: the width of the mouth, in mm
Assuming that this sample is representative of all American crocodiles, estimate the population mean mouth width of all American crocodiles whose mouths are 600 mm in length.
A) What inferential procedure would you use to answer this question?
B) Perform background and exploratory data analysis to determine whether the assumptions of the procedure have been met.
C) Are all assumptions met (or at least not terribly violated)? If not, explain the violation(s).
D) If assumptions are violated, stop here. If assumptions are okay, perform the inference:
Recently Asked Questions
- Approximately how many immigrants are living in the U.S.? A. Under 500,000 B. Approximately 1 million C. 10 to 12 million D. 35 million E. None of the above.
- Which of the following is true of Islam? A. Islam is one of the fastest growing religions in the U.S. B. All Arabs are by definition Muslim (majority but not
- suppose you perform a multiple regression to predict crime rate in a state and includes as indicators of predictions the homeownership rate divorce rate and