You will be provided with 5 data sets. For each of the five given data sets, perform the following steps:
Construct a scatter plot for the variables using Excel.
Compute the value of the correlation coefficient using Excel.
Give an explanation of the type of relationship that exists between the two variables. This explanation should include:
o Say whether there is a strong positive linear correlation, weak positive linear correlation, strong negative linear correlation, weak negative linear correlation, or no linear correlation between the two variables.
o Describe how you can see this from the scatter plot and from the value you found for the correlation coefficient.
o Interpret this relationship in the context of the problem.
5. The 1st and 4th given data sets have a significant correlation. For these two data sets,
Add the regression line to your scatterplot using Excel
Find the equation of the regression line using Excel
Use your regression line to predict a y-value for the given x-value, sentence explaining this prediction.
o Data set #1 : use x = 11
o Data set #4 : use x = 550
6. A discussion of the distinction between correlation and causation with respect to data sets.
Clearly explain the difference and include examples in your explanation.
7. A conclusion that summaries what you discussed/found in project.
Your project should be typed (no hand-written projects!).
Include all of the sets of data and scatter plots in your report (these can all be copied and pasted
into Word from Excel).
You may reference the textbook, Chapter 9.1 and 9.2, to help with your definition/descriptions.
1. Does it pay to stay in school? A researcher wishes to determine if there is a relationship between
the number of years of education and the unemployment rate.
Years of Education, x 5 7.5 8 10 12 14 16
Unemployment Rate, y 16.8 17.1 15.3 20.6 11.7 8.1 3.8
2. A study compared the body weight (in kilograms) and brain weight (in grams) for a sample of
Body Weight, x 52.16 60 27.66 85 36.33 100 35 62 83 55.5
Brain Weight, y 440 81 115 325 400 157 56 350 98.2 175
3. Can you predict how well you will do in a course based on the result of the midterm exam only? A
researcher gathered data from a random sample of 12 students in a math course.
Midterm Grade, x 50 90 70 80 60 90 90 80 70 70 60 50
Overall Grade, y 70 80 50 60 35 70 85 80 65 70 65 55
4. A study compared the mean SAT Reading and Math scores for a sample of nine states.
SAT Reading Score, x 497 515 518 592 568 572 543 501 522
SAT Math Score, y 510 515 523 587 535 554 529 514 521
5. A researcher wishes to determine if there is any relationship between the number of country and
hip-hop CDs owned by students.
Country CDs Owned, x 1 3 11 8 20 27
Hip-hop CDs owned, y 10 12 13 3 6 1
Recently Asked Questions
- What document is used to record original classification guidance and supports derivative classification?
- I need help answering this question : Using your life experience can you explain how each barrier to effective communication really impacts the communication
- Explain how the use of a predetermined rate for overhead results in an over or under applied balance at the end of the period. Your answer may be in bullet