Here is what I need help with
- "What type of study design is used? Explain."
the study design accurately test the null hypothesis?"
- "Is the correct statistical test used to analyze the data? Why? Why not?"
- "Present the results in APA using the format: A ________ statistical test was run and the results were ______________.**"
- "Regardless of whether or not the correct statistical test was used, are the results statistically significant? Social science research uses a p value of .05 to determine statistical significance."
- "Does the researcher reject or fail to reject the null hypothesis?"
- "What are the implications of the results for the study and for the addictions counseling field?"
** APA for presenting results of a Chi Square test is:
x(df, N=sample size) = value of x, p = calculated value of p
Example: x(3, N = 40) = .048, p = .31
APA for presenting results of a t-test is:
t(df) = value of t, p = calculated value of p
Example: t(49) = 3.02, p = .02
df = degrees of freedom
calculated value of p is labled "sig" in SPSS output
Simulated Research Study #1
Clients who enter residential treatment for substance abuse demonstrate difficulties correctly identifying emotions in themselves and others, regulating emotions, and using positive coping skills to deal with their emotions. The purpose of the study is to quantify the level of emotional understanding as well as other skills related to emotional intelligence among substance abusers. Do substance abusers have a different level of emotional understanding than the general population? The researchers used a convenience sampling method to obtain a sample of 40 substance abusers who have just entered residential treatment. The participants completed the Mayer-Salovey-Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test (MSCEIT) to measure their emotional intelligence. Note, the ability based model of emotional intelligence measures four branches: 1) the ability to identify emotions in facial expressions, 2) the ability to use emotional information to facilitate thoughts, 3) the ability to understand emotions, and 4) the ability to regulate emotions in the self and others. This assessment was selected to provide information on emotional understanding and other abilities under the umbrella of emotional intelligence. The mean score on the MSCEIT for the population is 100. The null hypothesis states there will be no difference between the scores on the MSCEIT for substance abusers when compared to the general population. A single sample t-test was used to analyze the data.
The total scores for participants on the MSCEIT are below:
The output from of the single sample t-test is below.
N MEAN STD. DEVIATION STD. ERROR MEAN
MSCEIT 40 92.4325 10.76539 1.70216
Test Value = 100
t df Sig. (2-tailored) Mean Difference 95% Confidence Interval of the Difference
MSCEIT -4.446 39 .000 -7.56750 Lower = -11.0104 Upper = -4.1246
Recently Asked Questions
- Max has the utility function U (x1,x2) = x1 (x2 + 1). 1. Suppose that the price of commodity one is p1, the price of commodity two is p2, and Max has an income
- "Max Gross has the utility function U (x1,x2) = max(x1,x2). If the price of commodity one is the same as the price of commodity two, Max will buy equal amounts
- "Darlene's utility function is U(q1,q2,q3) = q3 1q7 2q3. If her income doubles and prices remain unchanged, her demand for commodity two will more than