Data on the total number of (human) deaths reported during an outbreak of the
Ebola virus in a region of west Africa:
Day 1: 4
Day 2: 11
Day 4: 17
Day 7: 26
Day 10: 42
Day 12: 58
Day 15: 84
Day 18: 99
Day 20: 108
Day 23: 112
Day 25: 118
Day 28: 120
Day 30: 120
1. Determine the correlation coefficient (nearest hundredth) and make a formal statement (sse Notes) as to the evidence for a linear relationship. Set the data so that time is the independent variable and number of deaths the dependent
2. Determine the linear equation that best models this data. Round the slope and intercept to five decimal places.
a) Interpolate the number of deaths after 15 days, and determine the residual at this point, to the nearest hundredth
b) If the the regression model was a perfect match for the actual rates of death, what would the residual have been?
Extrapolate the number of deaths after 80 days. Based on the pattern of data at the end of the table, what does this tell you about the process of extrapolation, and what does it tell you about your linear model and the regression process?
Answer requires some common sense and looking at the change in number of deaths at and around the end of the 30 day period.
Recently Asked Questions
- 1.In a group of 40 people, 10 are healthy and every person of the remaining 30 has high blood pressure, a high level of cholesterol or both. If 15 have high
- 1.A study was carried out among Saudi female students to find out the association between physical activity and psychological factors such as insomnia. The
- 1.High blood pressure is a "silent killer" due to the fact that a lot of the time, symptoms go unnoticed. Hypertension causes the heart to work under increased