View the step-by-step solution to:

Question

1. Harry's Drive-Through caters to two types of customers, walk-in and drive-through. During peak times, walk-in

customers arrive exponentially every 4 minutes and place their order, which is sent to the kitchen. Nonpeak arrivals occur every 8-10 minutes. Customers wait in a pickup queue while their orders are filled in the kitchen. Two workers are assigned to take and deliver orders. Once customers pick up their orders, 60 percent of the customers stay and eat at a table, while the other 40 percent leave with their orders. There is seating for 30 people, and the number of people in each customer party is one 40 percent of the time, two 30 percent of the time, three 18 percent of the time, four 10 percent of the time, and five 2 percent of the time. Eating time is normally distributed with a mean of 15 minutes and a standard deviation of 2 minutes. If a walk-in customer enters and sees that more than 15 customers are waiting to place their orders, the customer will balk (that is, leave).

Harry's is especially popular as a drive-through restaurant. Cars enter at a rate of 10 per hour during peak times, place their orders, and then pull forward to pick up their orders. No more than five cars can be in the pickup queue at a time. One person is dedicated to taking orders. If over seven cars are at the order station, arriving cars will drive on.

The time to take orders is uniformly distributed between 0.5 minute and 1.2 minutes including payment. Orders take an average of 8.2 minutes to fill with a standard deviation of 1.2 minutes (normal distribution). These times are the same for both walk-in and drivethrough customers.

The objective of the simulation is to analyze performance during peak periods to see how long customers spend waiting in line, how long lines become, how often customers balk (pass by), and what the utilization of the table area is.

Problem

Summarize these data in table form and list any assumptions that need to be made in order to conduct a meaningful simulation study based on the data given and objectives specified.

kitaberusaha.jpg

kitaberusaha.jpg

Recently Asked Questions

Why Join Course Hero?

Course Hero has all the homework and study help you need to succeed! We’ve got course-specific notes, study guides, and practice tests along with expert tutors.

  • -

    Study Documents

    Find the best study resources around, tagged to your specific courses. Share your own to gain free Course Hero access.

    Browse Documents
  • -

    Question & Answers

    Get one-on-one homework help from our expert tutors—available online 24/7. Ask your own questions or browse existing Q&A threads. Satisfaction guaranteed!

    Ask a Question
Let our 24/7 Statistics and Probability tutors help you get unstuck! Ask your first question.
A+ icon
Ask Expert Tutors You can ask You can ask You can ask (will expire )
Answers in as fast as 15 minutes
A+ icon
Ask Expert Tutors