View the step-by-step solution to:

Question

This question was created from CH7_ Corp acquisitions and reorgs Problems_Spring2016(1) (1) https://www.coursehero.com/file/18099542/CH7-Corp-acquisitions-and-reorgs-Problems-Spring20161-1/

18099542-357769.jpeg
18099542-357769.jpeg

Split-Up - Jean Corporation has two divisions - home Cookware and electric home
appliances. Bill and Bob Jean own all of Jean Corporation's single class of stock. Bill, the
older brother, owns 70% of the Jean stock, and Bob owns the remaining 30%. Bill and
Bob's adjusted bases in their Jean stock are $700,000 and $300,000, respectively. They
have owned the stock for eight years. The divisions have the following assets:
Division
FMV Assets
Adjusted Basis
Cookware
$980,000
$600,000
Home Appliances
$420,000
$300,000
To divide the business, Jean transfers the cookware assets to Cookware Corporation in
exchange for all of Cookware stock. Jean transfers the home appliance assets to Home
Appliance Corporation in exchange for all of Home Appliance stock. Jean transfers the
Cookware stock to Bill in exchange for all of his Jean stock. Jean transfers the Home
Appliance stock to Bob in exchange for all of his Jean stock. Finally, Jean liquidates with
its remaining cash used to pay off its liabilities.
(a) What gain or loss is recognized on the transfer of the Jean assets to Cookware
and Home Appliance? What basis do the two corporations take in the assets
transferred?
(b) What gain or loss do Bill and Bob recognize when they exchange their Jean
stock for the Cookware and Home Appliance stock? What basis does each
shareholder take in his or her new stock?

Recently Asked Questions

Why Join Course Hero?

Course Hero has all the homework and study help you need to succeed! We’ve got course-specific notes, study guides, and practice tests along with expert tutors.

  • -

    Study Documents

    Find the best study resources around, tagged to your specific courses. Share your own to gain free Course Hero access.

    Browse Documents
  • -

    Question & Answers

    Get one-on-one homework help from our expert tutors—available online 24/7. Ask your own questions or browse existing Q&A threads. Satisfaction guaranteed!

    Ask a Question
Ask Expert Tutors You can ask You can ask ( soon) You can ask (will expire )
Answers in as fast as 15 minutes