Aurora and Oscar separated in 2017 and divorced in October 2019. She earned $40,000 in wages and paid more than
half the cost of keeping up her home in 2019. • Aurora and Oscar have a son, Milo, who is 17 years old and unmarried. • Aurora signed Form 8332 (Release/Revocation of Release of Claim to Exemption for Child by Custodial Parent) allowing Oscar to claim Milo in 2019.
• Milo is a full-time student working towards a degree in computer information systems. Milo lived on campus during the school year and spent the summer at home with his mother.
• Milo does not a have a felony drug conviction and is not a qualifying child for anyone except Aurora.
• Aurora paid $5,000 of Milo's tuition that was not covered by his scholarship.
• Aurora provided more than half of her son's support and all the cost of his room and board on campus.
• Milo's only income was $3,800 in wages and $400 of dividend income. He had no federal or state tax withholding.
• Aurora and Milo are U.S. citizens and have valid Social Security numbers.
Basic Scenario 5: Test Questions
10. Is Milo required to file a federal tax return?
a. Yes, because Milo's gross income was more than the gross income limit required to file a federal tax return.
b. Yes, because Milo had unearned income over the unearned income limit of $1,100 required to file a federal income tax return.
c. No, because Milo had earned income that was under the earnings limit that requires him to file a tax return.
d. No, because Milo didn't have any federal or state income tax withholding. 30 Basic Scenarios
11. Aurora's most advantageous filing status for 2019 is Single.
12. Aurora cannot claim her son for the earned income credit because he did not live with her for more than half the year and does not meet the residency test.
a. True. Milo only lived with his mother during the summer, which was less than six months.
b. False. Attendance at school is considered a temporary absence and those months are counted as time that Milo lived with her for the earned income credit.
13. Milo is Oscar's qualifying person for which of the following?
a. Head of Household filing status
b. Earned income credit
c. Credit for other dependents
d. Child tax credit
Recently Asked Questions
- What is the impact of a business claiming input tax credits for particular purchases while also claiming income tax deductions for the same items?
- Erwin and Eleanor are married and file a joint tax return. They have adjusted gross income of $39,000, no tax-exempt interest, and $13,650 of Social Security
- harlotte is a partner in, and sales manager for, CD Partners, a domestic business that is not a "specified services" business. During the tax year, she