I think we now have sufficient population in our country for us to shut the door and to breed up a pure, unadulterated American citizenship. I recognize that there is a dangerous lack of distinction between people of a certain nationality and the breed of the dog ... If you were to go abroad and some one were to meet you and say, 'I met a typical American,' what would flash into your mind as a typical American, the typical representative of that new Nation? Would it be the son of an Italian immigrant, the son of a German immigrant, the son of any of the breeds from the Orient, the son of the denizens of Africa? ... Thank God we have in America perhaps the largest percentage of any country in the world of the pure, unadulterated Anglo-Saxon stock ... I would make this not an asylum for the oppressed of all countries, but a country to assimilate and perfect that splendid type of manhood that has made America the foremost Nation.—Ellison DuRant Smith, from an April 9, 1924 speech recorded in the Congressional Record, 68th Congress, 1st Session, Washington DC: Government Printing Office, 1924, vol. 65, 5961-5962
Racial tensions in the early 1900s helped contribute to?
- economic dislocations following World Wars I and II
- the development of new technologies to improve standards of living
- the Great Migration of African Americans to the North
- legalized segregation in the South
Recently Asked Questions
- I uploaded the documents in course hero under ipc144 I have problem in code. When i display the contact list, in the address part, postal code and city are
- Please refer to the attachment to answer this question. This question was created from TP 2 - Mic Mac Eco..docx.
- In the reaction 3Ca(OH)2(s) + 2H3PO4(aq) → Ca3(PO4)2(s) + 6H2O(l) how many grams of Ca(OH)2 are required to neutralize 10 L of 0.60 M H3PO4 solution? Molar