1. Evaluate this statement: The history of the United States of America between 1607 and 1877 is mostly the history of westward expansion and land - that is, colonizing land, surveying it, buying it, stealing it, cultivating it, warring over it. Be sure to answer all arguments that make against the thesis you adopt in your paper. That is, answer the criticisms of those who might disagree with your chief argument.
2. From the minute Jamestown was established (barely) in 1607, racial conflict has existed in the United States. In our period (1607-1877), discuss the most extreme forms that this racism took, its effect on the economy and political history of the U.S., and some of the notable remedies that reformers put forth to combat it.
3. From 1850 to 1865, the U.S. changed radically in some ways. In other ways it remained stubbornly the same. This question tests your understanding of the changes and continuities in this crucial 17-year period. For this question, please infer intelligently on the possible points-of-view of four fictional Americans at two different points in time - 1850 and 1865. The four fictional persons are:
Hank - a former African American farm-slave from Alabama
Sedley - a southern plantation-owner from Mississippi
Thadner - a radical Republican and abolitionist from Rhode Island
Gradstock - a woman-rights reformer from Massachusetts
Let's assume it's 1850. How would each of the four figures, taken separately, answer this question:
Must a Civil War be fought?
Next, assume it's now 1865 - 15 years later. How would the same four figures, taken separately, answer the following two questions:
What have been the chief successes of the Civil War? That is, what positive changes have arguably occurred in this period from the perspective of each figure?
What have been the chief failures of this 15-year period, from 1850 to 1865 and the end of the war?
Recently Asked Questions
- For a sole proprietorship, the net income for the period is closed by:
- Please refer to the attachment to answer this question. This question was created from Practice Problems.
- Use synthetic division to divide the polynomial by the linear factor. (10x^3−7x^2+2x+2)÷(x+1/2) Indicate the quotient, Q(x), and the