US History I
Dan L. Carter, Instructor
Discussion Option: Choose 10
- Discuss the legislative attempts to alter slavery. Begin with Northwest Ordinance and go through the Peace Conference.
the Ordinance was ultimately a compromise between northern and southern states on slavery.
- Discuss 3 leading non-legislative events that led to the war.
- Discuss the 1860s. Why was this the final straw for Southerners?
- Discuss the 3 elements of slavery.
- Explain the evolution of nullification to secession.
- Why was the Ostend Manifesto so controversial?
- What were 3 examples of blood being shed before the Civil War?
- Which side did Buchanan favor?
- Why were Secession Commissioners important to the Southern cause?
- Explain the 3 types of groups in opposition to the War (in the South)?
- How was propaganda handled on both sides?
- Under troop strength: Discuss why the North would have the numerical
- advantage in 4 different ways.
- Why were border states important to Lincoln?
- Discuss the social structure of the South.
- Discuss the role of women in the South.
- Why is Lincoln called the first technology President?
- Who were contrabands of war? What did they do to the Northern troop movement?
- Discuss the New York City draft riot.
- In espousing, "Cotton is King", what did Southern leaders fail to take into account regarding the world trade situation?