ANSWERS IN YOUR OWN WORD. THANKS IN ADVANCE
Chapter 1: The Emergence of the Bipolar World
The United Nations (UN)
North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
1. Explain “containment” and discuss whether or not it was necessary.
2. Identify four countries within the Soviet Union’s “satellite Empire.” Explain the circumstances of their membership of that entity.
3. Explain why and how Germany was divided post-World War II.
4. Identify the primary participants at the Yalta Conference in the spring of 1945. Discuss the purpose and significance of that conference.
5. Identify the primary participants at the Potsdam Conference in the summer of 1945. Discuss the purpose and significance of that conference.
Chapter 2: The Militarization of Containment
President Dwight D. Eisenhower
John Foster Dulles
Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM)
Senator Joseph R. McCarthy
European Economic Community (EEC)
1. Explain what the Cold War was.
2. Identify what the “Iron Curtain” was.
3. Compare and contrast the leadership styles of Josef Stalin and Nikita Kruschev.
4. Identify and discuss the impact of leadership change on the Soviet-American relationship.
5. Identify Berlin’s sectors and discuss why four foreign countries were represented in that city.