- What kind of communication might an editor have with a writer? How might being a comprehensive editor change your relationship and communication with a writer? What considerations should be made when corresponding with an international writer? Please discuss how you would respond to one of the following scenarios:
- You've just begun working at Lightning Research Center, and you've been asked to edit a research report discussing the results of an experiment by one of the center's researchers. The report involves equipment that you've never seen. You looked online, but couldn't find any information about this technology and don't understand what the experiment, and therefore the article, is about. What should you do?
- You've been asked to help a senior research faculty member do a grant proposal for funding for her work. The writer is successful in writing grants and seems protective of her work. She emails the draft to you, but has a busy travel schedule and therefore cannot schedule a meeting before you begin editing. You feel the draft needs more explanation of the benefits of the research, so you reorganize the draft and add more benefits. You carefully explain in the transmittal letter that the writer isn't obligated to accept these suggestions and you don't normally make changes without discussing them, but the meeting was not possible. The writer receives the comments and is furious as she believes you've made the draft worse. What could have been done to prevent this? What should you do now?
- You have worked as an editor with a glass researcher for a number of years and he wants to send you an important grant proposal. You've edited for him before and editing these proposals has taken about 5 hours to edit. You give this estimate and he sends you the draft at the last minute letting you know he'll be out of touch for the whole week before the proposal is due. As soon as you open it, you see that it will take more than five hours as it's not as organized and well written as his writing normally is. You're only contracted for five hours, but this job will take you more than five hours. The writer only has a day or so after you edit it to incorporate the changes and submit, so contacting him again isn't an option. What should you do?
Recently Asked Questions
- what would any numerical example to illustrate opportunity cost with a production possibilities curve (this would involve any two products and numbers) look
- On the preceding graph, use the blue rectangle (circle symbols) to shade the area representing the firm’s profit or loss if the market price is $20 and the
- Calistoga Produce estimates uncollectible accounts to be 3% of accounts receivable. The company reported accounts receivable and allowance for