Reading Question for Sherry turtle's " Connected But Alone?"
Directions: Watch Sherry Turkle's TED talk " Connected But Alone?" Answer the following questions and select from Turkle's talk that lead to your answers.
- How has our relationship to technology change over the years? what sort of "new" behaviors does Turkle see with how people used technology?
- According to Turkle, why we are so enamored with mobile devices?
- what does she think are the major consequences for preferring to communicate with technology?
- what does she want us to do to solve the problems she see? what are her solution?
- what kind of evidence does Turkle use to support her argument?
Question for Analyzing and thinking Critically( good for annotating and digesting text):
- If someone accused Turkle of being a "hater" what would you say to them? does she hate technology? How do you know?
- TED stand for technology, entertainment and design. Audiences at TED talk are often technology lovers, which might make them "sensitive" to Turkle message. How does she seem to craft her talk to work with this audience?
- How does Turkle build her own ethos, or credibility?
- How satisfying do you find Turkle's evidence? How well does she account for what our social lives actually look like today offline?
- How does Turkle's talk align with your own experiences or observations? How does it differ?