Dr. Knightly is a highly accomplished, long time tenured professor of business administration at Palmetto State University. In addition to earning the respect of his peers for his scholarly work, he is a favorite among his students!
Dr. Knightly has become disillusioned with the new administration. He has publicly denounced the president in faculty meetings. Students have begun to complain that he spends an inordinate amount of time talking about university problems caused by administration instead of teaching. The university community is divided on Dr. Knightly's actions.
As a newer faculty member, you are developing your positions on faculty free speech and academic freedom. The situation with Dr. Knightly has made you consider:
- What other issues would you need to know or clarify to determine whether certain types of protections apply in this case?
- Would the situation differ between public and private institutions?
- What type of speech is protected and why?
- What are the types of speech that are present in the scenario and what effect could they have on Dr. Knightly?
- What effect could Dr. Knightly's tenure status have on the institution's decisions?
Considering these questions, what is your personal view on the situation? Support your response with references and other pertinent resources.
Recently Asked Questions
- Why is carbon dating not a valid technique for dating fossils beyond a certain age?
- Please refer to the attachment to answer this question. This question was created from WEEK 5 ASSIGNMENTS.docx. Additional comments: "is hearsay present if so
- Please help Aging Self-Assessment Due Saturday by 11:59pm Points 15 Submitting a text entry box Instructions: need about 20-30 min of time where