Please write a 3- to 4-paragraph Viewpoint Essay on EITHER the external or internal factors that weakened the Qing dynasty in the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, focusing on one of the following prompts:
- How did the Western powers use diplomacy and war to gain power in China?
- How did Western powers gain greater trading rights in China?
- What was the Chinese response to the Western threat and why was it effective or ineffective?
- What were the positive and/or negative effects of Western involvement in China?
- What internal problems threatened the Qing dynasty, leading to rebellion?
- Who were the Taipings and what were their goals?
- What was the appeal of the Taiping rebellion and how did it attract followers?
- How did the Qing government react to the rise of rebellion?
- or a comparable topic of your own choice, subject to my approval.
In writing your Viewpoint Essay, please use AT LEAST ONE outside source IN ADDITION to the lectures, textbook, and other course materials that I have provided. Your source must be a legitimate academic journal, book, or website. Encyclopedic websites such as Wikipedia, Encyclopedia Britannica, Ask.com, etc. are not acceptable. If you are unsure whether your source qualifies, please ask me ahead of time.
Reference your source(s) using the Chicago citation style.
links to topic
The answer to this question... View the full answer